And so it's all over, and boy what a night it was. Two hours of constant, rapid (re)tweeting, copy & pasting, and general discussions of winners. A full list of the nominations can be found here, but for now I'll list the winners in chronological order:
- GAMEPLAY - Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
- CASUAL - Boom Blox
- SPORTS - Race Driver: GRID
- STRATEGY - Sid Meier's Civilization Revolution
- USE OF AUDIO - Dead Space
- STORY & CHARACTER - Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
- BAFTA ONES TO WATCH - Boro-Toro
- MULTIPLAYER - Left4Dead
- TECHNICAL ACHIEVEMENT - Spore
- ORIGINAL SCORE - Dead Space
- 'GAME' AWARD OF 2008 - Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
- HANDHELD - Professor Layton and the Curious Villiage
- ARTISTIC ACHIEVEMENT - LittleBigPlanet
- ACTION & ADVENTURE - Fable 2
- BEST GAME - Super Mario Galaxy
Well, quite a collection brilliant games there. Personally, I'm glad that Dead Space picked up the two audio awards, very well deserved. The atmosphere created throughout the game due to the audio cues is astounding, extremely tense.
No surprised Call of Duty 4 won three awards, it is the BAFTAs we're talking about here. Although perhaps it didn't deserve the award for story and character. It kept me playing which is more than some games do, however I was nowhere near as enthralled with the plot as I was with The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess for example. Considering one of the main characters dies abruptly around two thirds of the way through, kind of made it hard to get attached to the "story and characters".
I think Left4Dead was an obvious choice for the multiplayer award, and I'm happy it won it over Call of Duty 4. It was a bold move by Valve which paid dividends no end, proof being a BAFTA.
The biggest surprise to me was Super Mario Galaxy, regardless of the rave reviews. To be brutally honest, I didn't think any Wii games would win awards, let alone GotY! It didn't innovate to any great extent, and pretty much just plopped Mario into a different setting.
Wow, that turned into a number of incredibly brief reviews on award winning games. Leave you're own nano-reviews and opinions of the list below.